Monday, October 8, 2012

Tri-Fecta Horror Weekend

Everyone knows I am an event junkie. I love conventions, book signings, film premiers, etc. The first weekend of October was very busy as I had three events on my schedule. All three events turned out excellent. It was a great way to start my favorite month of the year. Friday night I gathered with a group of about seventy-five people for the premiere of the horror movie Pumpken. This film was a two year project of my friend Felix Matos, a very talented artist and now filmaker. I am proud to say I have a small cameo in the film. It was great to hang out with John Ferguson, the beautiful Anjanette Clewis, and Jackson Compton among others who starred in the movie. 
 
On Saturday I was invited to an outdoor event in the town of Guthrie titled Zombie Bolt 5k. This was a 5k run where the joggers had to deal with hordes of zombies attacking them. Cool idea! First of all the weather was cold, but that didn't stop the runners or the zombies. They both showed up in force and braved the elements. I'm sure the weather did cut down on the attendance, but it didn't matter. Despite the cold, we had a blast! I didn't participate in the race (I would've been zombie food in the first kilometer) but sold some books and talked to several people about my upcoming zombie novel. A great event and which promises to be bigger and better next year. I can't wait!
 
 





Wrapped around both events mentioned above was the Octopodicon Steampunk Convention. I had to leave the con several times to attend the other two, but still had a lot of fun when I returned. I'm not really involved in steampunk, but the genre intrigues me. I love the guns, costumes, and the sci-fi element of the whole steampunk movement which reminds me of the Jules Verne and H.G. Wells I read as a kid. For the first time I even made a costume for the con. though it wasn't as nice as some of the incredible ones wore at the convention.  You can check it out on the right and some of the other more wonderful costumes below.





In closing, all three events were a lot of fun and excellently ran. My hat goes off to those responsible for making this a great weekend. It's times like this that make it worthwhile to do all the hard work it takes to be an author and to share your imagination with others. Salute!

No comments: